Wednesday, February 27, 2013
1. When were you last facing an ocean? In ONE word describe how you felt when you faced that ocean.
I was actually near the ocean this past weekend. We traveled to Pepperdine University in Malibu for a debate tournament. We were up on the hill above the ocean and never actually got down to the coastline (such is life at a debate tournament - enjoy whatever surroundings you have from afar), but when I looked out there at that beautiful blue ocean reflecting the sunlight from above, I felt peace. The ocean always makes me fell a little bit of peace...it is so vast and so seemingly empty of the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
2. What are three sounds you hate to hear?
My dog barking in the backyard. She is incessantly doing so and it is so aggravating! My mom crying. She is going through a rough time of it with cancer treatments, my dad's dementia, etc. I feel so helpless sometimes when I hear her crying over the phone. Finally, I would say my daughter's name being called for her blood draws. She has to have them relatively often because of her condition and she HATES it...
3. This question comes to you courtesy of some real life friends. Hi real life friends! When you shop for clothes do you try everything on in the store or do you buy, try on at home, and then return what you don't like or what doesn't fit?
I try everything on in the store. I have learned that I am not very good at taking things back, so it becomes a waste of money for me to wait and find out. Plus, many of the items look horrible when I try them on, so I like to know that before I get them home. The only exception is if I am buying something I already have one of at home.
4. February 26th is National Pistachio Day...are you a fan of the little green nut? Do you use them in cooking and baking or prefer to eat them right out of the shell?
I am not a big fan. I will eat them if they are around, but I never buy them myself.
5. When did you last have to compromise with someone? Were you happy to reach a compromise or slightly irritated it came to that?
I am often compromising. The latest compromise was probably with a students of mine. I am usually relatively happy to reach a compromise. But, if it is something that I feel like I was pushed into or had to do because of time constraints, it is irritating. But, I think the last compromise I was fine with.
6. Have you ever written a letter to an elected official? Did you get a response?
I have only done emails that I remember. I often get response emails, but you can tell they are automated. Oh, I guess the last personalized one was to our Mayor a couple of years ago asking our city to acknowledge Congential Heart Defects Week and I got the letter and the city's fancy sheet that says they are recognizing it.
7. We 'March' into a new month at the end of the week...what is something on your March calendar guaranteed to make you smile?
The end of our debate competition year! I love what I do as a coach of speech and debate, but it is a long year and I have traveled more this year than I have in many, many years. So, I will be happy to see it come to a conclusion, allowing me to have my weekends back to myself and my family and hopefully some time to get my life in a little more order than it currently is. I feel like I have made some huge gains since the start of the new year in getting more on top of things, but I still have some big things to get up and over so I can see the other side. I am hoping that some more weekends will allow me to do that.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Everyday feels like Monday some weeks...